Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It never hurts to ask

I really do live by the "no regrets" mantra. Not to be confused with YOLO (Connor I know you have that shirt in your closet, burn it). To me, It's more about being brave when it comes to that moment in your life. We all know those moments, when we have the chance to take action or say something that could have a huge impact.

Today I've been thinking a lot about those decisions thanks to my friend Nat Harward posting a video about one courageous Vanderbilt student. This student, in a crowded room of his peers, asked the amazing Billy Joel if he could accompany him on "New York State of Mind" and the talented Mr. Joel said "okay." And BAM! Six minutes later this student has an amazing experience.

If you watched the clip you also see how amazing of a live performer Billy Joel is, but I digress...

I love that this happened and that we have this wonderful devices call the cell phone to capture these awesome moments. But it's more than this single experience that moves me, it the moxy of this kid. I mean who usually has the gumption to get up and ask anyone of greatness something of this measure? Moving forward Michael Pollack (Vanderbilt student/soon-to-be YouTube sensation) will have the courage to ask for what he wants in life and for lack of a better term grab life by the horns. So my hat is off to you Mr. Pollack, I'm sure you will be success and maybe BFF with Billy Joel.

I've come to many of those points in my life (taking pictures with celebrities count, right?) and what better way to choose your action than look at the possible outcomes. Basically saying "what's worse that could happen?" Sometimes it is as simple as being told no and maybe a little bit of embarrassment. (*Editor's note: a quick escape plan is also needed at times, such as asking a girl from school on a date, save yourself--and the girl in this case-- too much awkwardness by asking her at the end of class instead of the beginning).

I think though even if you don't get the result you would like you will likely have two positive outcomes:

1) You gain respect- Even if someone tells you no or you fail miserably, people know you tried. Maybe no one in that room respects you, but maybe you will have that failure to bring up in a job interview (for some reason they always want to know about your failures) or at the very least your mom will be so proud.

2) You know the answer- whether it was a question to someone else or a question if you could do something, you know. I am such an inquisitive person, that it physically hurts sometimes when I don't know the answer. (*Editor's note: You don't always need an answer and it won't always help. Learning to move on sometimes is a much better solution. Also, sometimes people don't have the answer--I'm referring to specifically getting dumped or fired).

I am thankful everyday that I was born with an analytical and curious mind that has allowed me to live boldly and freely. I have been able to land jobs, internships and even my eternal relationship with my husband because I don't believe in leaving my destiny to the "what ifs" or "if onlys" on my path. So let this Billy Joel moment remind us all to leave our fears behind to enjoy all that life has to give.







No comments:

Post a Comment